Organs and tissues are a precious community resource. LifeGift is an integral part of the health care community helping to manage them. Thousands of residents of the areas we serve – and beyond – have had their lives restored by receiving organ and tissue transplants provided through our unique partnerships.
Established in 1987, LifeGift is a not-for-profit organ procurement organization that recovers organs and tissue for individuals needing transplants in 109 Texas counties in North, Southeast and West Texas.
- Help grieving families consider the decision to give the gift of life. Inform families of registered donors of their loved ones’ wishes to donate.
- Coordinate the organ and tissue recovery process with surgeons, other transplant professionals and transplant centers. Collect data for use in transplantation research.
- Partner with hospitals to continually develop effective, government-regulated donation systems to help increase the number of donated organs available for transplant.
- Educate the public about the need for organ and tissue donation. Serve the African-American, Latino and Asian minority communities with specific educational programs.
- Continue to support and maintain contact with donor families following the donation process, facilitating communication between recipients and donor families, if both parties desire.