LifeGift Communications Center is now the LifeGift Donor Resource Center, your 24/7 lifeline for organ and tissue donation.
The LifeGift Donor Resource Center (DRC) works with more than 200 hospitals around the state to ensure that families are offered the opportunity to donate and that organs and tissues are made available to save and enhance lives throughout Houston, Fort Worth, Lubbock, Amarillo and beyond. The three Texas regions – North, Southeast and West – served by LifeGift include 109 counties.
A focal point for all donors and potential donors, the DRC screens more than 30,000 referral calls per year and facilitates a number of critical functions in the organ and tissue donation process.
- Collaborates with more than 200 hospitals in our network, which spans Southeast Texas, parts of North Texas and West Texas
- Serves as the official contact for death notification calls from hospital staff on every death
- Screens referrals and assesses potential donors for medical suitability in collaboration with hospital staff
- Confers with primary physician as needed in obtaining in-depth medical history on prospective donors
- Enters data and maintains data integrity of the LifeGift donor network, including information on donors and also demographic data on the network’s 200+ hospitals
- Facilitates communication between LifeGift and transplant centers
- Notifies next of kin of donor designation or requests consent for donation with 5,000 families a year in cases in which their loved one appears to be an appropriate candidate for tissue donation. Acquires extensive medical and social history on the prospective donor from family members
- Assists families with numerous needs, including those involving the donation process and also those regarding other end-of-life considerations, such as funeral planning, grief counseling referrals and financial assistance referrals
Funeral Homes and Medical Examiners
- Coordinates donation with medical examiners, justices of the peace and funeral homes
- Provides educational resources and training for funeral home directors
- Maintains the “on-call” status of numerous critical groups, including LifeGift donation clinical specialists, medical directors, surgeons, tissue and eye bank staff, tissue recovery staff and tissue processing partners
- Coordinates donor transportation via couriers and ambulance services