More than 6,200 individuals of Asian descent are currently awaiting a lifesaving organ transplant. However, in 2007, the Asian community accounted for just over 2 percent (or 2,018) of the total donors in the United States.
LifeGift is dedicated to expanding its outreach to the Asian community to increase awareness of the great need for donation. As we’ve been doing within the African-American community, our goals within the Asian community are to:
- Acquaint individuals with LifeGift.
- Increase organ and tissue donation awareness.
- Increase donation consent rates.
- Educate individuals about the lifesaving benefits of organ and tissue donation.
- Address religious concerns about donation.
- Acknowledge and honor donor families through special memorial ceremonies for their gift of life.