As more than 29,000 African-Americans across the country wait for an organ transplant, LifeGift is working with clergy and leaders in this community to help make a difference.
Together, our goals within the African-American community are to:
- Acquaint individuals with LifeGift.
- Increase organ and tissue donation awareness.
- Increase donation consent rates.
- Educate individuals about the lifesaving benefits of organ and tissue donation.
- Address religious concerns about donation.
- Acknowledge and honor donor families through special memorial ceremonies for their gift of life.
Studies and anecdotal evidence suggests that clergy members are an effective voice to influence African-Americans to say "yes" to organ donation.